"A man's feet should be planted in his country, but his eyes should survey the world."

13 May, 2010

On Love

Love is such an awesome thing. Just as the Eskimos have 20 words for snow, so too do I wish we had 20 words for love. Love has reduced me to tears twice in my life: way back when I learned I was to be entrusted with the spiritual supervision of a child as his Godfather, and again on a Leap retreat this past November. Love is what kept my hall at SMC together, what keeps Kev Muench coming back to visit, what reunites my high school friends. Love is how I know my parents will always care for me, no matter how bad I fuck shit up. I can feel love in the warm fur of my dog, and in the warmth of a grill cooking steamers we just picked up in front of the Cape house. I find loev in the warmth of my bed on a cold winter night, but also in the warmth of a batch of Grammy's cookies, fresh from the oven. Love is why you care for a friend, puking, late on a Saturday night, and love is what unites friends around a meal in the cafeteria the morning after to laugh about that Saturday night. Love is being given much, and seeking to give it all back to those less fortunate. Love is caring about someone you've never met, but would do anything for. Lose is patient, love is kind. Love is sympathy, love is mercy. Love is simple, love is complicated, love is unknowable, yet constantly known. Such is love.

1 comment: